Am I Eligible for CDPAP?
Do you or a loved one struggle to complete daily tasks or suffer from chronic medical conditions? If you live in New York and qualify for Medicaid, CDPAP (Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program) could provide the assistance you’ve been looking for. This article details who is eligible for the CDPAP program explains what the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program is, how it works, who is eligible to be a caregiver, and how Eagle Eye Home Care can assist you through the CDPAP application process.
Eligibility for the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) in New York includes the following criteria:
- Medicaid Eligibility: To be eligible for CDPAP, you generally need to qualify for Medicaid in New York, as CDPAP is a Medicaid-funded program. Eligibility for Medicaid is based on factors such as income, assets, and medical needs.
- Need for Home Care Services: Applicants should require personal assistance or home care services due to a medical condition or disability.
- Doctor’s Certification: A licensed healthcare professional, such as a doctor or nurse, will assess your needs and determine if you require services and to what extent.
- Ability to Self-Direct Care: The individual receiving care (the person receiving care) can hire, train, and manage their own personal assistant. You need to have the cognitive and physical capacity to direct your care or have a designated representative to do so.
- Resident of New York: CDPAP is a program in New York State, so the person receiving care typically needs to be a resident of New York.
The Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) is a New York State Medicaid program that allows the person receiving care to recruit, hire, and direct their own home care workers. One of the highlights of the program is that it allows the person receiving care to hire family members or friends to be their home caregiver. The CDPAP program focuses on individuals living with chronic medical conditions or physical disabilities and have trouble with daily living activities or require skilled nursing assistance.
Who is eligible to be a CDPAP Caregiver?
This section will detail the criteria for being a CDPAP caregiver, including restrictions, physical requirements, identification, and necessary paperwork:
- The spouse of the care recipient may not be the caregiver.
- The care recipient may not have their caregiver also be their designated representative. This allows for a clear separation of roles and responsibilities when providing care.
- The CDPAP caregiver must pass a physical exam to prove they can provide the necessary care and support.
- If the caregiver needs to drive the care recipient as part of their duties, the CDPAP caregiver must have a valid driver’s license and proof of insurance.
- The CDPAP caregiver must agree to follow the care plan as provided, completing the tasks and responsibilities required to meet the care recipient’s needs.
- Complete a W-4 form for tax withholding and an I-9 form to verify work eligibility.
- There are no specific licensing requirements to be a CDPAP caregiver. However, the caregiver must meet the criteria listed above.
If you meet the criteria above, you are eligible and can move forward with your Medicaid application. It’s common for Medicaid applications to get rejected due to incomplete data. Before submitting your application or visiting an office to get assistance with your application, make sure you have all of the necessary documentation:
- Birth certificate
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of income (Tax return, paystubs, Social Security, or any other form of income source)
- Copies of bank statements for proof of assets/finances.
- Proof of residences
- Proof of other insurance (if applicable)
You can apply for NY Medicaid in the following ways:
- Through NY State of Health
- Through a Managed Care Organization (MCO)Call the Medicaid Helpline (800) 541-2831
- Through your Local Department of Social Services Office
How Eagle Eye Home Care Can Help
We are here to help you get the care you deserve and it’s as simple as 1-2-3. Fill out our short online form and we’ll assist you in navigating the endless paperwork and communicating with all agencies involved. Next, we’ll confirm whether or not you are eligible for CDPAP and the number of hours per week you are entitled to. Finally, you select your personal home caregiver and create a training plan and schedule that meets your needs and lifestyle.